5 Foods For Healthy Brain Function
You are what you eat. That age-old saying still rings true and could even be the driving force behind healthy brain function as you age. Pack your diet full of these superfoods to keep your brain in tip-top shape (and the rest will follow!).
Get a Head Start on Healthy Brain Function
From improved memory and cell growth to decreased blood pressure and inflammation, foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, and antioxidants are known to support healthy brain function. Whether you incorporate these foods as snacks or salad toppings, you’re sure to see a difference in your mood and cognitive abilities.
5 Foods for a Healthy Brain
Give your brain a boost with these deliciously mindful foods:
1. Green, leafy vegetables – Leafy greens like kale, spinach, collards, and broccoli are rich in vitamin K, lutein, folate, and beta carotene — all shown to help slow cognitive decline.
2. Fatty Fish – Omega-3 fatty acids are a key ingredient in many healthy recipes these days. One reason to include them in your diet is that these healthy, unsaturated fats have been linked to lower blood levels of beta-amyloid — the protein that forms damaging clumps in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease. Eat fish like salmon, cod, and canned light tuna to up your intake!
3. Berries – The same flavonoids that give berries their bright hues have also been shown to improve memory. Studies have shown that women who consumed two or more servings of strawberries and blueberries each week delayed memory decline by 2.5 years.
4. Tea & Coffee – Caffeine, believe it or not, has been shown to improve mental function, as well as aid in solidifying new memories. Try not to exceed 400 milligrams (or about four cups of coffee) a day to avoid any negative side effects.
5. Walnuts – In general, nuts are an excellent source of protein and healthy fats. Walnuts, in particular, have been linked to improved memory thanks to their omega-3 fatty acid content.
How do you incorporate foods like these into your day-to-day life?